Sunday, December 16, 2012

Decisions (RAPIDLY) Approaching

We need to make a selection (A-A-S-A-Please*) for the ventilation hood we're going to have in our new kitchen.

We did not have a vent hood in our first kitchen, and it showed. Cooking residue fell on everything in a 5'-0" diameter of the stove each time we pulled out our Rick Bayless cookbook or boiled pasta.

Our apartment has a microwave over the oven/range with the attached vent. There's nothing wrong with it, it seems to work fine but it wouldn't work at the new house because the range is in the middle of our island with a whole lot of nothing above it. 

Anyone been on a search for island hoods lately? Turns out they're expensive and the ones that aren't are terribly unattractive.

We are nearing the end of our budget and so we are at a difficult place of deciding whether or not to spend some extra cash (ouch) or to get what is out there for what we have (wah). Chances are, we will channel our inner Dave Ramsey and make the smart decision to stay within budget. Blah, blah, blah.

But, the time has come where we have to stop just looking and actually make a decision. The electrician is moving along and we need to know what we are installing in order to properly handle power and venting before the ceiling is installed.

From the cheapest to the most expensive:







I'm not a huge fan of the first hood. It would be fine, and it is the least expensive option but it just doesn't feel like us or our kitchen. It is by Frigidaire, and the well known brand gives it a slight edge, but I'm inclined to nix it all together.

While I am still not a fan of the glass on the second (who wants to clean that?!), it is flat instead of curved which I prefer and is still reasonably priced. My biggest concern? I haven't found a single review.

I like the shape of the third hood, but can only speculate on the real price right now. We would purchase it from the same dealership we purchased our cabinets from, and I can only look at the list (retail) price online, I know they would be able to sell it to us cheaper.

The last two look good but are both over our budget. Need I say more?  

Hopefully, we can make up our minds today or tomorrow so we don't hold any of our trades up. We've got to keep moving along and at a pretty good pace.


*Uncle Si is quite possibly one of the funniest people alive.



In light of Friday morning's event, I've debated posting or saying anything on any social media platform about the shootings in Connecticut. I don't feel that this blog is the best place to say much regarding anything but the house but at the same time, I understand how first world and insignificant a ventilation hood selection is. Please hug your families and say a prayer of thanksgiving to God for giving them to you for whatever length of time you have. I pray that the families in Connecticut find peace and comfort in Him and sincerely hope that if anything as horrific and tragic happened to my family that I would remember that my hope is in God alone.   

No comments:

Post a Comment