Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bonus Room Sub-Floor, A Theme Song & Thanksgiving

Saturday afternoon my brother took a nap on my couch while Addison took her nap so that I could work at the house with Paul for a couple of hours.

Over the past few weeks, we've been in a pretty good place with the house. We're behind schedule and the money belt is starting to tighten but we've been in that state of 'just keep moving'. Saturday, we were busy laying a new sub-floor in the bonus room and we were both exhausted, physically and emotionally. Just getting the plywood to screw into the joists was unraveling us from both ends. By the time we'd laid the sixth piece of plywood, we both stood, starring at each other, saying, "Well, aren't you going to get started?" with our eyes. We both knew better than to say it out loud.

When we left off last, this is where we were:


We started by laying a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood down, cutting out a hole for the floor vent, then another, cutting where necessary, leaving at least 1/8" gap between sheets until we ended with a full layer of 3/4" plywood down. We used the Liquid Nails Sub-Floor adhesive again, running it along each support and around the edges, then screwing the first layer of sub floor in, every 8" around the perimeter of the room and every 12" along the supports.



This is the floor transition between the original hardwood in the living room which is staying and the one layer of 3/4" plywood in the bonus room. The kitchen to bonus room transition is quite a bit more stout. In order to make these transitions less noticeable we had to complete a couple of tasks. We decided to do a second layer of 3/4" plywood in the bonus room.

 
We started laying the second layer of plywood at a 90 degree turn and continued laying sheets until the entire room had a full second layer.


The second layer of sub-floor we skipped the adhesive (we want the floor to contract without cracking the tile or grout on top) and used framing nails instead of screws, also making sure to leave at the minimum, a 1/8" gap between sheets.


I'd only been at the house for a few hours but I needed to get back to Addison. I went to the front of the living room and stared at the work we'd just accomplished. Trying to figure out if it was worth the work, I suppose. Paul stood under the arched cased opening, observing the plywood as well. And while I was standing there, doubt started to creep back in. That voice in my brain that said, "You two are nuts". I put my hands on my hips, took a deep breath and in that split second of a breath, Phillip Phillips came on Pandora.

Hold on, to me as we go;
as we roll down this unfamiliar road.
And although this wave is stringing us along,
just know you’re not alone,
'cause I’m going to make this place your home.


We looked at each other, laughing, tears welling up in my eyes. This guy. This guy that I met seven years ago, is making me a home. A big, expensive, tiring and all together wonderful, special home. The song continued and Paul might as well have written the song himself.

Settle down, it'll all be clear.
Don't pay no mind to the demons,
they fill you with fear.
The trouble, it might drag you down.
If you get lost, you can always be found.

Just know you’re not alone,
'cause I’m going to make this place your home.


We stood in our big, empty living room, my head resting on his shoulder while the song finished and I all I could think about was how thankful I was. Thankful for him. Thankful for this house.

While I am thankful for many things, this year, I think most of all, I am thankful for Six Twelve and for the man that is building it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment