Monday, December 2, 2013

Radio Silence

Sorry for the silence. Projects really have come to a halt around here, holidays are upon us and decorating is too expensive to get done when I'd much rather buy gifts and spend time with my kid and my husband. My friend Tara noted that the Ryckbost lifestyle is 7 shades of crazy and not only do I agree with her, I adamantly agree with her. The end of this year marks the end of a couple of things for us and I'm looking forward to a lighter and more enjoyable 2014.


We hosted thanksgiving at our house last week. For the first time ever. My parents have been hosting my mom's side of the family for the last 27 years but with their move to Dallas, it wasn't feasible to hold it at their current location. I was thrilled to be able to offer. We don't just meet for a meal in my family. Everyone comes early and stays late, sometimes for days. We had a total of 16 people (that being a light year) who shared the Thanksgiving holiday in our house and I loved every. single. minute of it. 


















The house wasn't done. There were hundreds of little things that bugged me and I fretted until the moment people arrived. I worried they would see the imperfections of the this and the that. But they didn't and if they did they didn't say anything. They raved about the house. They asked all sorts of questions and then we just spent time enjoying it. That's the whole point of this house - to enjoy it.

We're not done, I keep saying we're not, and we don't plan to be for awhile. Paper shades still hanging in windows, windows that need work, a fire place missing a trim piece, dining room chairs, rugs, you name it, it probably needs some work and yet, I'm okay with it. I'm okay with not being done. I don't know why I am so worried about whether or not everyone else is okay with us not being done too.  

With the last of the family members heading out this morning, our house has been decorated for Christmas and we're ready for the next few weeks of celebration and the choice to be hospitable and to enjoy our home even when though the this and the that need some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment